Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Even quilt spacing and feathers.

 
This is Deb's beautiful quilt.  I really love how it turned out!  I wanted to share with you a couple of little tips I do often.  The first one is trying to figure out even quilting spaces using acrylic rulers.

I used the piecing in this quilt for my reference marks as to where I was going to use my acrylic rulers.


As you can see I used the tips from one corner to the other on this log cabin block for my reference marks.  Since the whole quilt was all log cabin blocks, it made it easy for me to know where I wanted all my arch's to go. 

To create the echo on the arch I used two different size arch's. One just slightly more curved than the other.


Now for the border arch's I also used the piecing as my guide.  I counted all the log cabin strips, including the 1" sashing.  It came to 50 strips.  I divided that into a number that would work with the size of my arch and 5 was the magic number.  So I needed 5 arch's to go the length of the border from sashing to sashing at 10 strips per arch.  I used an invisible marking pen to give me my reference points.  You can see above the 10 piecing strips worked perfect for the arch.  I was lucky for this quilt because it's a square quilt, so the arch's went around the border perfectly on all sides.


Here is a good picture of the arch's on the border and on the white parts of the quilt.

The last little tip I wanted to share with you is about feathers and when you come to an awkward point when stitching your feathers.


You can see above I used the arch as my vine but when I came to that awkward point the arch was not going to work well for my vine....so I made a feather pebble in the corner space then continued on with my next feather petal on top of the last one....then continued on using the arch as my vine again.

Thanks for taking a peek and let me know if you have any questions or thoughts on these little tips.

~Jenny~


26 comments:

  1. That is a great way to handle the points in the arches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate your insight into your quilting process on this blog. I can see I need to get curved rulers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can one get that ruler you speak of? this is gorgeous and I think a ruler that follows your pattern is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt...everything about it! The design of the top and the quilting...it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to comment and say how much I appreciate all of your tips that you share. It is so thoughtful and nice and wonderful to SEE how you are able make your wonderful designs. It give hope to me as a long-arm beginner that with practice and time that I can replicate just a fraction of all the amazing things you do. SO THANK YOU!!! I love love love the arcs. I am so inspired that I am going to attempt something to this effect for my next quilt. Thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy to see your quilting again, I have always loved your quilting style, and I so appreciate your tips. This quilt is beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a great explanation to achieving beautiful arcs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing your tips. it makes it so much easier when you can break it down like that. I also LOVE the grid on the log cabin, what an interesting secondary pattern it makes. very nice. hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome tips...where did you buy that curved ruler? Looks easy to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing. I have a log cabin quilt to do in the near future and just might be able to use some of your idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful quilt and so full of color!! You did an amazing job quilting it and getting it to pop in all the right spots. I would love to know what pattern she used to make the quilt ............You do beautiful work as always

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and techniques. It is so helpful to see how others achieve such great designs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Potato - This is Deb, the lucky owner of this quilt. There really wasn't a pattern for this quilt. It's just traditional log cabin blocks laid out in a non-traditional way. You can use any size log cabin blocks - the strips in this one finish at 1" wide.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Entertainment for Fun... Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still haven't figured out how to do the math for the rulers allowing for the 1/4 inch foot. Is there an easy formula? I like to use them, but I am always really afraid to use them on a border because the spacing rarely turns out even.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Entertainment for Fun... Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Want to Learn Forex Trading and earn with Forex Business...?? The best Forex Trading Learning Website where you can get any thing about Forex, Trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. the curves add so much to this quilt. thanks for sharing your tip. I think I need one of those curvy rulers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
    EarningsClub.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and techniques. It is so helpful to see how others achieve such great designs.

    Obat Hammer Of Thor Asli

    ReplyDelete