My friend brought me this old quilt top. This top has been in her friends family for a long time. Marly wanted me to quilt it so she could give it to her friend all quilted and finished.
I love thinking of the history behind old quilt tops. This was all hand pieced and I only came across one hole. WOW
As I quilted and advanced the quilt I made sure to stabilize the top..bottom and sides as square as I could. So when I added my binding it was easy with no difficulty. This quilt top was pretty distorted...not bad for how old it is though!
I also came across extra fabric in the middle of the quilt I could not ease in. I made a tuck that ran along the seam...basted the extra fabric down then quilted it. I then took the baste stitch out and wala..it worked great!
The piece of fabric that was very thin was black and had a few holes. I took a small piece of black fabric and put it under the bad fabric. That way you didn't see the batting. It's not very noticeable at all.
I used Spiral Square on it and used a light gray for the backing. I had this little polka dot blue fabric I used for the binding and I think it was a great choice.
I'm sure I broke all sorts of rules handling the old top. But it looks better than it did and my friends friend will love it!! I think that's all that counts!