Thursday, April 21, 2011

Detailed Pictures of my Freehand All-over Hook Feather

start off with a big meander across the whole quilt




if your getting to far down on the spine...fit in a smaller petal...that will get you back up on the spine

if you have a hole...go ahead and take a petal way out to fill that in




remember to leave space for your feathers as you come around

to help your feathers interlock for the next row..I will a slight hole for a petal to fill in

when coming to a turn...follow the stem up and around then hook to the last petal


I will try to reverse the directions of my feathers for each quilting pass..gives it a more inconsistent look


Thanks Deb..for letting me use your quilt for these pictures!! 

Of course these are not my own ideas..and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the Quilter I learned how to do the big meander and fill in with the feather...I will post that when I remember?  And Sally Terry is the first I know of who came up with the hook feather..but what I have come to find out over the last few years of doing this, is that even though we may all do the same thing...we all have a style of our own.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting. When I do a freehand feather allover I don't quilt in the stem over the entire length of the quilt first like you have done, but do each curl individually off the previous feather. Your way would be faster. I think I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you and thank you!!!! That was such a wonderful step-by-step!! I'm going to try it soon and will give you full credit for all the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Thanks for the little tutorial on how you do your hook feather. Now it makes sense. I don't know if I could do it so perfect though. I will keep practicing. You make it seem so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jenny! This is how I do regular meandering feathers by stitching the spine path first. Just need to gain some confidence to try the hook feather. You echo yours so perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Tutorial! Very informative and step-by-step, I like how you leave spots for the other side to fill in. I will keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tutorial Miss Jenny.I really need to try these. Last day of my "save the day" trio to Nanaland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a longarm, but I really enjoyed this how-to! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hooked feathers and have been doing them fro a while. I love how elegant it looks but is easier (to me) than trying to do a traditional feather. I know Carla Barrett of Feathered Fibers does the feather meander a lot, maybe you learned from her? I did.
    http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics Jenny ... I was trying to see how you did your spine to allow the two sides of the feather to come together balanced. Just asking ... whats your favourite thread?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, I will try this comming week, I have been a little chicken, so now guess I will go to it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne Earley came out with this technique. It's from her book Meandering Magic. :) And, I personally learned the hook feathers from Jodi Robinson, Less Stress Feathers, well before Sally came out with her book on them. Sometimes quilting ideas are like the chicken and the egg. What (or who) came first? lol There really doesn't seem to be much new under the sun anymore, we each just kind of put out own spin on things. I got all excited once thinking that I had come up with a new design, only to see almost the exact thing I thought I had just made up on one of Marilyn Badger's quilts, lol. It's just great that we can all learn and be inspired from each other. I love your quilting style, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the hook feather - so beautifully stitched!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just finished a white and blue quilt....any recommendations on using white thread all over the quilt using the hook feather design? I'm afraid that the dark blues won't "pop" with the white thread through them. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete